Weekly Newsletter (October 19-23)

0

Posted by MrLynch | Posted in Weekly Newsletter | Posted on October 17, 2015

This week we will continue our dive into the world of division. Just a word of warning to all you mathophiles out there, I will be teaching them both the traditional method and the partial quotients method of division. At the end of the day (test included), students could solve the problems whichever way they want to. It’s like a new vegetable – I make them try it, but if it tastes nasty they could spit it out. Exposing them to more than one method will give them a better number sense of how the whole thing works. Most kids just believe it’s some sort of magical witchcraft and the right answer just needs the right spell. The real question I try to get them to understand is this: how does the spell (in this case, division) work?

Last week, we had our first Junior Achievement lesson of the year and it went very well. The fifth grade program is called Our Nation. The lessons are taught by Mr. Reynolds, and he’ll be joining us for several weeks of these both before and after the More Than Money conference.

devil-child-funny-optical-illusion

Upcoming Events

More Than Money Conference – Friday, October 30

Parent/Teacher Conferences – Thursday, December 3 – Friday, December 4

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar