Weekly Newsletter (November 20-22)

0

Posted by MrLynch | Posted in Weekly Newsletter | Posted on November 18, 2017

We have a 2.5 dayer this week. Enjoy those turkeys and of course, the infamous Black Friday.

Last week I introduced students to our class business, Bungles. They received a job applications and had the opportunity to apply for a position as either a manager, sales representative, or advertising agent. On Monday they will find out their positions and then we will start inventorying and pricing items; training the sales reps on the cash boxes and receipts; and creating an advertising campaign for our December Grand Opening.

Our Holiday Bear Project is underway, and students worked on their scripts and started to call businesses last week. We are sponsoring a​n 10​​-year-old ​girl and a​ ​10-year-old boy​ boy ​(who I don’t think are brother/sister​) whose famil​ies​ ​are​ having a difficult time and would be hard pressed to provide gifts for their kids during the holidays.

On a future date (which I will send via e-mail)​, whoever is interested/available will be meeting me at Walmart in Avon. Using the money we collect, we will purchase gifts (also wrapping paper and tape) for these two kids, and then the entire class will wrap them up the next morning (after a lesson on present wrapping). ​This week, I will discuss with students about asking family (either you or maybe family that lives nearby) if they can do some jobs around the house (or for other extended family members) to earn money. Students usually have many great ideas themselves. Anything is helpful. Another thing we will be doing is using the​ Chromebooks​ to look up the names and phone numbers of local businesses. We will work on scripts that students will be using to call businesses to ask for their support in this charitable cause. (I will not have any student make a phone call if he/she is uncomfortable.) We made phone calls for the past few years and this really helps students work on their speaking skills and confidence. I monitor each phone call and we do it right from the classroom. M​any​ businesses will say no thank you (or use some very clever evasive tactics!), but a few will say yes and that is just another reality that students will experience. For the businesses that do say yes, I will ask students if any of them, driven by you, can swing by and pick up the cash, check, or gift card. If you’d be willing to do this just let your child know so if they volunteer they already have an ok from you.

I understand that not every student will be able to make it to Walmart and that is absolutely fine. You’ll hear more from the room parents later about carpooling opportunities. Either way, all students will be involved in the process both before and after. Let me know if you have any questions about this worthy cause.

Upcoming Events

Parent Teacher Conferences – Thursday, December 7 and Friday, December 8 (although I will offer times each morning all week as well)

Nathan Hale Homestead trip – Friday, May 18

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar