Math

Student Homework

On Core Math student pages – this link is a large PDF file that includes some of the pages students will use this year, both in class and for homework. We use more than just this (and I certainly do not teach from worksheets alone), but if a student forgets his/her homework, some of the time the homework could be found in this document.

Everyday Math student pages – this link takes you to the EDM website, where some of the homework may come from throughout the year. Individual sheets could be printed out from the site.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Just because something is explained on the worksheets one specific way, it does not mean that is how I taught it in class. Or if I did, it may have been offered as one method. For example, let’s say there is some bizarre new method of teaching multiplication that no one on this planet (except for some remote island off the coast of Tahiti) has ever seen before. The method is explained on one side of the worksheet and students are asked to practice problems on the backside for homework. I may not have taught them this strange method. Common Core does NOT dictate how math is taught – particular textbook companies came up with their own methods. This is where so much of the Common Core controversy comes from over math. (There are other concerns, too, but this is a favorite). There are many ways to get to the numeral four, including but not limited to multiplying, dividing, adding, and subtracting. I like to offer students many methods because they are not robots and I go for what works best. You could get to the top of Mount Washington in a car, train, or on foot. We all have different needs and limitations, but my goal is to get students to the top based on what I see is their surest path to success.

————————————————————————————————————————————————–

In 2012-2013, Avon used the Everyday Math program for grades K-5. In late August 2013, it was decided that Avon would no longer be using Everyday Math. In 2013-2014, the new curriculum was implemented. The new curriculum was put into place throughout all grade levels in Avon. In fifth grade, there is no longer any commercial math program – it is teacher created. Teachers worked to write both curriculum and assessments throughout the past few school years using the Grade 5 Common Core State Standards as the guiding force. This process continues to be tweaked every school year.

While the curriculum is a living document (and will be adjusted throughout the year, especially the lessons, tests, and order in which things will be taught), it will most likely be very similar to what is listed below. Use it as a guide to general topics students will cover this year.

Grade 5 Math Scope and Sequence

Unit 1: Place Value

Unit 2: Computing With Whole Numbers

Unit 3: Add and Subtract Decimals

Unit 4: Multiply and Divide Decimals

Unit 5: Volume and Measurement

Unit 6: Add and Subtract Fractions

Unit 7: Multiply and Divide Fractions

Unit 8: Geometry

Unit 9: Algebraic Connections

Skip to toolbar