Weekly Newsletter (September 13-16)

0

Posted by MrLynch | Posted in Weekly Newsletter | Posted on September 10, 2016

We have another four-dayer this week with Monday off for students. The Grade 5 Parent Open House is on Tuesday at 7 PM. I will be revealing all the secrets for getting your child into sixth grade astrophysics and sixth grade super duper advanced calculus. If you don’t come, you’re out of luck.

Our team goes to Winding Trails on Thursday. Students should bring sneakers and a lunch/water bottle. Disposable lunch bags are preferred as students do have to bring their lunch around with them from one location to the next and then to the next and the next and the next… If it’s disposable, at least they can be hands-free halfway through the day. Also, make sure the lunch bags are strong. I recommend at least a double plastic bag, or some other clever bag combo like a brown bag inside a plastic bag. Just a plain brown bag lunch is a bad, bad idea. Trust me. The kids swing their bags, and every year at least one kid sees his lunch bag break, with food spreading out into the fields into the awaiting mouths of hungry ants. Also, at this time of year it can sometimes be chilly in the morning and brutally hot in the afternoon, so if your child tends to be cold then a sweatshirt isn’t a bad idea. It’s easy to remove layers, but if the kids are cold and they’re only wearing a t-shirt then the only option is building their own grass and mud fleece. That gets itchy.

Homework Slips start on Wednesday. Up until this point if students forgot to turn in their homework, didn’t do it, or forgot their name on it (because doing document analysis on each homework without a name takes up valuable class time every day) we just had a conversation. It’s the beginning of the year and they’re just getting into the routine so thus far so I cut them a break. However, starting on Wednesday if they don’t turn in homework on time with a name then I send home a homework slip to be signed by a parent. It’s amazing how quickly the homework problems disappear each year when I start doing this.

On Thursday, September 22 I’ll be taking any interested students on a bike ride to school. We leave from the Avon Free Public Library at 7 AM, and take a scenic and mostly flat ride into school. This event is optional, but students who decide to come along will need a working bicycle (not the one they got when they were four with the training wheels still attached), properly inflated tires, and a helmet that fits. Every year someone shows up with either a helmet that doesn’t fit, flat tires, or a bike that is far too small/far too big. I also need parents to join us for the ride so if you would like a great way to start your day and get some exercise, please come along!

The Egg Drop will take place on Friday, September 23 at 11:20 AM. Basically, I get on the roof of Thompson Brook School and throw down students’ egg containers, trying to break them along with all their hopes and dreams at the same time. They try to stop me. We’ll see who wins. Parents (and little ones not in school yet) are welcome to come watch. Everyone loves smashing things.

back-to-school-funny-2-twitter

Upcoming Events

Grade 5 Parent Open House – Tuesday, September 13 @ 7:00 PM 

Winding Trails – Thursday, September 15

Bike Ride to School (optional) – Thursday, September 22 @ 7 AM

Egg Drop – Friday, September 23 @11:20 AM

School Picture Day – Monday, September 26

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar